Thursday, February 24, 2011

Is it Nature or Nurture??

Ever since I was younger I have always been so interested in Child Development.  It all started when I originally started off thinking about being a grade school teacher.  I have had many previous jobs dealing with children such as a lifeguard, a camp counselor, and a swim instructor for little children.  It always amazed me how when parents would come and pick their kids up, I could almost always tell what kid went to what parents based on the parent and child temperament.  It sounds so cliche but it really is "like father, like son" and "like mother, like daughter".  Parents can shape a child's development from before they are even out of the womb.  According to Parenting magazine, if a child hears music while inside the womb, they will recognize it when they are born.

Parents have so many responsibilities when it comes to raising healthy children but they need to start before the child is even born.  Mothers who are looking to get pregnant should go on a healthy diet for one year prior to even trying to get pregnant.  They when they are pregnant they should take their prenatal vitamins, go for their checkups, watch what they eat, eat a lot of fruits and veggies, and keep up minimal exercise.  The one thing that I recently learned about in my child development class is when a mom is breastfeeding, she should not eat spicy foods or it will really irritate the baby.  I NEVER KNEW THAT! Did you??

Child development is also so interesting to me mainly because it is such a crucial part of anyones development.  The love that you get when you are younger will impact you when you are older.  Even the things you see as a young child will stick in your mind and you will remember it when you are older.  The way your parents act towards you and the love and attention they show you will affect how you interact with others when you are older.

Now that I have given a little bit of background on why I chose this topic, I want to know what you guys think about a particular debate that has been going on for years, the nature/ nurture debate.  For those of you who do not know what this debate is about, its basically a debate to decide whether a child is developed through nature which is through the child genetics or nurture which is through the childs environment and upbringing.

I think that a child's development is formed by a child's upbringing and the environment in which they are raised.  Although I believe that you do inherit some personality traits from your parents, I think the main thing is Nurture.

What do you guys think?

5 comments:

  1. I feel that it is both nature and nurture. My youngest cousin, who is now two, has not yet began talking. He sees a speech pathologist for treatment. It's not that we have not nurtured or tried to teach him to speak, it is just nature that he has not yet started.

    Another example would be a child that may be born homosexual, it is not taught that he/she is the way they are, but it is in nature that made them that way. It is argued that some homosexual couple that adopt or have kids of there own nurture their child to be the same sexual orientation, but that is not always true. The child can be raised "normally" and still turn out to be the opposite.

    I like the way you opened the topic up for debate because that is one of my main points I always argue when it comes to nature versus nurture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with all your comments! I totally think that people are all different, and i think that whether its nature or nurture is different for everyone. I definitely do think that a childs upbringing definitely affects how they grow up, but I also think that genes makes a huge difference as well. I feel that it's a debate because there is no ONE answer, it varies for everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that it is both nature and nurture that determines who we are. I have a twin sister so genetically we are are alike and we were raised in the same environment. We look very similar, our voices sound the same, and our parents raised us in the same manner however however, because weve had entirely different experiences and relationships we are almost polar opposites. I think that everyone is affected by both nature and nurture

    ReplyDelete
  4. I definitely agree, and its interesting to hear from a twins perspective! I don't think we will ever truly clarify if its nature or nurture, but its definitely cool to hear everyones thoughts on it :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also think that everyone is affected by both nature and nurture. This debate is very interesting. I really enjoyed reading your blog and watching the videos on the reflexs of children. It is amazing what they can do at such a young age. I'd like to read more! :)

    ReplyDelete